Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Lighten up, it's just FAshion.

So, I've decided that I need some summer dresses.  I'm not morbidly obese by any means, but I am a little chunky in the middle, so I need some larger sized dresses.  While shopping for these, I've come to a few conclusions:
1. I don't need to cover up my whole body.  I've found some empire waist strapless dresses at Kohl's and Target that look fabulous and are so comfortable!  Most have an elastic bodice that doesn't squeeze so much that I look like a can of poppin' fresh biscuits when it's first busted open.  My arms don't look as big as they do when I wear something with tight sleeves either.  If you choose to wear an empire waist style, just make sure it's not so baggy and full that you look like you're going to pop out a kid in a couple of months.

2. People were apparently smaller in the 1970s and before.  They must have been!  Based on the size of vintage clothing I wear, I'm an ideal candidate for gastric bypass surgery.  When shopping at a thrift store or Goodwill, I now head straight to the plus sizes and look for cool vintage clothes.  They're easily taken in (by a professional, not me) to fit like custom made clothing.  Here's a pic of what I found last week.




Freakin' awesome, right?  With some minor alterations it'll be updated for this century's style.  I'm doing to have it chopped off into a short party dress, but in the mean time, here is a "before" picture.  I'm aware that I need to pose better, but it's hard to learn when I have to use the timer on my camera to take my own pictures.  At least I don't take creepy, pathetic pics in my mirror.  *shudders*


My point is that whatever your size, buy stuff a little bigger, then have it tailored to fit.  Even Tim Gunn will tell you that.  Also, don't be concerned about the size number on the tag.  Sizes will vary quite a bit.  I can wear 8-18 depending on brand, age and style of clothing.

To sum up, show your assets (mine are my hooters is my smile), anything old can become current, and most importantly, size is just a number.

Hugs and kisses,
Gini B

PS. Thank you Michael Kors for my clever blog title, and thanks to Santino Rice for putting it in song.

3 comments:

  1. If your hooters are your biggest assets, you should unbutton the top of that dress a little more. You'll attract more readers. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh-and this was pretty funny. That is another good asset of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shortening it and showing some leg will have to do with this dress :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete